A massive thank you to David O’Farrell for being part of our series “A day in the life of…..” where we get to know our colleagues in the Telecoms industry. David is Chief Technology Officer at Synoptic.
- Where are you from?
Dublin born and bred
- Did you go to College and if so what did you study?
Yes, attended Kevin Street DIT – Studied Telecommunications
- Favourite holiday destination and sport?
I’ll generally navigate towards the sun especially places with clear blue sea, I’m going to say Formentera, a small island next to Ibiza, the closest thing to the Caribbean in Europe – I am quite a sports fan with Golf & Rugby being top of the list.
- What’s still on your ‘bucket list’?
Would like to go on safari one day, I’m not much of a thrill seeker so that’s as dangerous as it gets.
- What is your favourite movie?
Heat – Two of my favourite actors finally meet in the same movie – Al Pacino & Robert De Niro
- Describe your personality in three words:
Determent, sociable, competitive
- What is your favourite App on your smartphone?
Spotify – Downloaded Amazon during lockdown which became quite costly
- Where was you first job?
At 14 years old I worked in Rainbow Rapids Dun Laoghaire but first proper job was Canada Life selling Pensions & Life Cover, a tough birth into a sales career
- What are your thoughts on work / life balance?
Work hard play hard, at least in the younger days, now it’s more Work hard, relax more.
- Can you describe in one sentence what your company does?
Supplier of high-grade IP & Data Infrastructure to the Corporate sector
- Can you describe in one sentence what it is you do?
Head up the Technical Operations and design bespoke solutions for Synoptic clients
- What is the best part of your job?
Winning contracts and deploying reliable innovative solutions for customers
- What was the best career lesson that you have learned?
Never get complacent the telecoms sector moves fast, don’t be left behind
- Any thoughts on the current health of the Irish telecoms sector?
It’s very competitive which is good for the end customer, some exciting technologies being deployed such as SD-WAN, DDoS, Managed Firewall etc.
- What is your favourite saying or piece of advice for life in general?
“The past is behind you, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it.”
View David’s LinkedIn profile HERE