A big thank you to Ray O’Connor of 4Site for being part of our series “A day in the life of…..” where we get to know our colleagues in the Telecoms industry. Ray is in place as Chief Commerical Officer with 4Site since 2017, with 10 years overall in telecoms.
- Where are you from?
Born in Santry, grew up in Beaumont, schooled in Drumcondra and live now in Ballinteer 22 yrs.
- Did you go to college and if so, what did you study?
I studied Project Management in Dublin Business School which has proven very useful to me in my 4site role given everything we do is project-based with a specific methodology.
- Favourite holiday destination and sport?
Maspalomas, Gran Canaria where they have some of the most fantastic run routes which are great for an early morning 5km circuit
- What’s still on your ‘bucket list’?
None as such. I’ve long filled that bucket and have lots of great memories to now enjoy
- What is your favourite movie?
The Godfather (but not number 3 😊)
- Describe your personality in three words:
To the point
- What is your favourite App on your smartphone?
- Where was you first job?
When I was 17, I worked a summer holiday and weekend job in Lock’s restaurant in Portobello, when it was a celebrity haunt in Dublin. Really enjoyed that!
- What are your thoughts on work/life balance?
It’s everything to me but it’s not always easy to ‘totally’ switch off. Regular trips to Maspalomas sort that out though
- Can you describe in one sentence what your company does?
We are Ireland’s largest telecommunications design consultancy, operating across Ireland and the UK for some of the most high-profile infrastructural telecoms projects in existence.
- Can you describe in one sentence what it is you do?
I direct and manage the sales operation for 4site across Ireland and the UK
- What is the best part of your job?
Without doubt it’s our people and their collective determination to always do right by our clients and the best job possible, no matter what.
- What was the best career lesson that you have learned?
We have 2 ears, 2 eyes and 1 mouth, so use them in that proportion. Active listening as opposed to talking isn’t always a skill some people in business employ as a default position.
- Any thoughts on the current health of the Irish telecoms sector?
It’s in an excellent state in my view. There is a significant amount of very positive investment into the Irish and UK market currently, particularly around FTTH (fibre to the home) and its penetration into not only urban areas, but also the rural landscape. The recent announcement by the government on the National Broadband Plan is testament to this technology and the intentions of our government to futureproof our country. I’m extremely proud to say 4site will be the primary design partner on this historic infrastructure project.
- What is your favourite saying or piece of advice for life in general?
“A wise man hears one word and understands two.”
Twitter handle: @4siteHQ
LinkedIn profile address: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rayoconnor31/