World-class communication solutions
We’ve always been an organisation with purpose; to use the power of communications to make a better world and at our heart we’re a technology company with research and innovation in our bones and a desire to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers. Our pursuit of progress over the past 180 years has established BT as a strong, successful brand, with huge scale capable of achieving great things, from supporting emergency services, hospitals, banks and keeping economies around the world online, safe and secure, to delivering large scale technology infrastructure like the creation of BT Sport.
We have around 1.2 million customers and serve over half the FTSE 350. Our customers range from big household names, government departments and public service organisations right through to small businesses and new start-ups. . We provide network IT services to corporate and public sector organisations in the Republic of Ireland and our Wholesale business helps communications providers (CPs) and other organisations provide fixed or mobile phone services.
Overview of the role:
The Server & Storage Engineer is highly focused on working as part of a team to meet the customers’ needs and SLA requirements. Working in the Servers and Storage Technical Service Group, you will have a Strong technology background in pro-active management along with other related areas of expertise and will also need to have good customer facing, team player and self management skills
What will you be doing as Server & Storage Engineer?
- The Server & Storage Engineer will respond to incidents relating to infrastructure technology, driving resolution to meet agreed SLAs.
- The successful individual will be owning and driving resolution of major incidents, along with major changes and releases
- The Server & Storage Engineer will insure that the Customer is kept informed and liaising with customer representatives up to and including CEO level, along with keeping internal stakeholders informed of progress
- You will be escalating technical issues with 3rd party vendors via agreed support mechanisms and progressing to resolution / Owning and managing calls that have been escalated to supporting 3rd parties
- Supporting the major incident process and where necessary taking ownership of recovery planning
What makes a successful Server & storage Engineer with BT?
- Experience in the relevant technical skill area with Linux system, Windows server, Dell/EMC San storage and Commvault backup support, administration and troubleshooting.
- Experienced, fully competent in own area, can act as a key contributor in a more complex/critical environment, and is able to co-ordinate activities of others (the team leader).
- Has depth of expertise in more than one area, and can apply knowledge/skills to a range of activities acting as a source of technical expertise to others in own area.
- Able to interpret internal/external business issues and recommended best practice in own discipline, and to make changes to own and others work to meet these.
- Proactively able to understand client needs and offer assistance even when not asked.
- Experienced in finding the underlying issue and patterns in complex situations, taking a new perspective on existing solutions to complex problems, and is able to explain difficult concepts to a variety of audiences to ensure that the meaning is understood.
- Can motivate other team members and create informal networks with key contacts outside own area.
- Understands appropriate customer Business Processes and operating environments.