The National Broadband Plan (NBP) is the largest ever telecommunications project undertaken by the Irish State. It aims to radically transform the country’s broadband landscape through the delivery of quality, affordable high-speed broadband to all parts of Ireland where such services are not available commercially.
The NBP will ensure that all people and businesses in the Intervention Area have access to a modern and reliable broadband network, capable of supporting the communications, information, education and entertainment requirements of current and future generations.
The network will be designed, built and operated by National Broadband Ireland, using a combination of State subsidy and commercial investment. It will make its services available to all of the rollout area, which accounts for 23% of the population in about approximately 537,000 homes, farms, schools and businesses.
Key Objectives / Accountabilities:
NBI is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Second Line Support Engineer who wants to jump in head-first and help build a mission-driven company from the ground up.
You are comfortable with a constantly changing environment. You are detail oriented and you love efficiency and excellent service. You will directly contribute to the building of a state of the art operations capability, working in the NBI Second Line Support team.
You will have a passion for the latest fibre access technologies. You will have deep specialist domain expertise- or the proven aptitude to develop such in fibre access networks: including XGSPON and OMCI. Knowledge of PON diagnostic methodologies, techniques and tools is an advantage; ideally extending to knowledge of Nokia access nodes and Network Analyzer – Fibre (NA-F)
Knowledge of Radio Access & Backhaul Network technologies and related systems and processes is also an advantage.
You get the importance of teamwork and you understand the importance of developing a strong relationship with our Network Operations & Engineering teams as well as managing the performance of third-party vendors who will provide third-line support.
You will work with a diverse team of people – with ICT systems and operational process expertise; and you will be responsible for delivering specialist access network technical support to assure continuity of network service. You will also ensure along with your colleagues in Network Operations & Engineering, that our partners complete the installation, commissioning and test of the OLT/PON infrastructure is completed to the highest standards..
- Support optimal function and performance of all fibre access network elements OLT, ONT; specializing in fibre access technologies, systems and diagnostics
- Support the adherence to key operational processes
- Support the acceptance of new/enhanced network resources into production
- Support the resolution of complex single- and multi-domain issues
- Contribute to the performance management of the operations team and third-party contractors
- Contribute to an open team culture of excellence, efficiency and continuous improvement
- Develop a strong relationship with colleagues in the Network Operations Centre and the Customer
- Operations teams; as well as liaising with third-party vendor specialists who will provide third-line support
- Work with business stakeholders and IT to ensure the quality of documentation and ability to measure and manage the performance of the network to stringent KPIs
Knowledge & Experience:
Our ideal candidate will have:
- 5/7+ years technology/operations experience in an ICT environment
- A third level qualification in engineering, computer science, physics or similar
- Ideally, domain knowledge across PON fibre access networks
- Knowledge of Analytic Trouble Shooting (ATS) techniques; test methodologies and techniques; and an aptitude for analysis, prioritization and clear technical communication – to identify root causes of functional and performance problems and generate remedies and resolutions
- Excellent understanding of ICT operations
- Excellent written, oral communication, reporting and presentation skills
- Excellent ambassador for NBI, promoting the organisation and role modelling NBI’s values
Coaching & Development
Influencing & Winning Commitment
Oral & Written Communication
For more Information on National Broadband Ireland please visit: